Episode 400: Michael Benton and Hateg Island. Michael Benton joins us to debate Hațeg Island, dwarf dinosaurs, new strategies in paleontology, and extra
You’ll be able to take heed to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on Apple Podcasts at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/i-know-dino/id960976813?mt=2
Michael Benton, paleontologist and professor of vertebrate paleontology within the College of Earth Sciences on the College of Bristol. He has written over 400 scientific papers and greater than 50 books, about a variety of matters, together with animals within the Triassic, extinction occasions, and the Hateg Basin. His most up-to-date books are The Dinosaurs Rediscovered and Dinosaurs: New Visions of a Misplaced World.
The “dinosaur of the day”: Hațeg Island
- Hațeg Island was a big island within the Late Cretaceous positioned within the Tethys Sea, between Laurasia and Gondwana. It’s identified for its basal dwarf dinosaurs, in addition to one very giant apex predator (that’s not a dinosaur, however could possibly be simply as terrifying).
- A number of the dinosaurs embody:
- “Struthiosaurus” transilvanicus
- In fact, we will’t discuss dwarf dinosaurs and Hațeg Island with out mentioning the Baron Franz Nopcsa, a rich man with many pursuits who pioneered a number of dinosaur evaluation and theories, and was one of many first individuals to have a look at extra than simply the bones of the dinosaurs, just like the biology of dinosaurs.
- Two most important sources for this episode:
- Traveler, Scholar, Political Adventurer: The memoirs of Franz Nopcsa (not likely about his work on dinosaurs, however fascinating about his life)
- Benton, Michael J.; Csiki, Zoltan; Grigorescu, Dan; Redelstorff, Ragna; Sander, P. Martin; Stein, Koen; Weishampel, David B (2010). “Dinosaurs and the island rule: The dwarfed dinosaurs from Hateg Island”. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology.
An elephant species that migrated to a number of Mediterranean islands will be the inspiration for the Cyclops of the Odyssey.
Your assist means a lot to us and retains us going! For those who’re a dinosaur fanatic, be a part of our rising group on Patreon at patreon.com/iknowdino